Monday, December 19, 2016

IMSA GTU Datsun 240 Z Race Car Restoration index build

The Aston Martin DB4 GT Lightweight is much stronger than English breakfast tea



This IMSA GTU Datsun 240 racing car restoration Z was recently completed by Z Garage in time to compete at the 2014 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion Last August For the last 2 decades, it had been left unused in storage after a hard life the race but the car was eventually reduced to just specifying that she participated in the late 1970s, with Atari influenced delivered and all drivers Privateer Joel Anderson, he ran with great success after purchase Datsun Department of competition in 1979 to just 1 00 an advantage of being a proven driver and having inside the factory connections in his interesting interview with Z Blog car on the next page, he speaks of his race past and that it re-purchased the car in 1989 after deciding that he wanted all his old race cars again what is great is that once complete, vintage race car was brought to the Laguna Seca event on the same trailer he used to tow the car at Road Atlanta with Inse rt one of many old racing days were so much better than the comments of today in here that you want and enjoy the pictures to build on the next page.
Below Works Hourglass Vintage V48 wheels are used in place of magnesium wheels Trick unobtainium Mag.
Except modern safety equipment and racing tires, 49 was restored to the same aesthetic and mechanical condition period he had run in the day, including even using a single stage paint to keep it authentic.
Many parts of the old collection of Joel were used again in the construction, including the original racing seat and steering wheel MOMO Prototipo.
How did you come racing Datsuns In 1972, I bought my first Datsun 240Z while living in Southern California As I was driving a VW in 1961 I built autocross in Northern California the year before moving to Newport Beach VW was a Porsche 1900CC engine, Big Porsche alum drum brakes and a transaxle Porsche, Koni s, 10 large wheels with rain racing tires intermedate and Stinger exhaust hard on the outside without two body parts were the same color, but the inside was nice gauges, a black leather bucket with black thick carpet and a real bed absolute blast to drive my employer at the time hated the VW and offered me a car instead of a increase I ordered a Porsche 911 from a local dealer and when I went to pick it up, they added more than 500 in what they call the dealer Prep I pissed and after a few hours of play, I am my depositon the way back, I saw a 240Z in the showroom on a turntable in Garden Grove Datsun was beautiful, Brown Safari with chrome wire wheels a nd he had been in the car show Los Angeles, I knew nothing of 240s, except they were pretty cool looking and they were quickly I went inside and told the saleman I wanted to buy and take home tonight the next day driving in the rain on my way to work in my new ZI came to a red light, hit the brakes and went throughout the intersection scared the crap outta me Z joined club owner, hope to get the help on how to fix the brakes after two meetings, I started running in slalom in the stock class and won the most events entered this year in 1973, I returned to the SF Bay Area and I went to an Autocross and got my doors handed me the art cars here were better prepared than Southern CA lowered, racing tires, stabilizer bars and a lot more power than my Z stock gradually I began modifing my driver every day to be competive in a year, I had some 1st in class Prodified and the car was less streetable I bought a 71 Z from an auto wrecker who h ad an inner fire, took all the good things in my car in the street and began to tow 71 events While preparing the cars I got to know people well enough FAR Performance in 1974, Walt Maas has won the national championship in C Production in Atlanta, GA in FAR Performance 260Z called the Giant killer then Frank Leary was the team leader Walt and Frank FAR service manager also building a Z on his own in road racing in the shelter of his condo in Santa Clara I helped F rank build his car in exchange for his secrets to make a quick Datsun While working as a team leader Leary I converted my Z to a full road race and raced SCCA Solo events and won the class CP in 1977, I went through SCCA's driving school and started the race route by the end of the year, I won the most races and the regional championship and was issued my national license 1978 I was running SCCA national events and qualifed for runoff in Atlanta in Atlanta, I had my first DNF due to running time too divided and valve exhuast in 79 I SCCA car turned to my wife so she could participate in regionals and I built my car IMSA GTU.
Autocross or road racing, what do you prefer Road Racing autocrossing has been a great learning experience in the control of the car, but it was a little too soon you wait all day for less 2 minutes driving solo rush The competition was better, he gave me a lot of track time and a gauge to judge whether I had what it takes to be a competive golf road.


What's your personal code of conduct on the track clean the rule I have always had is it is the responsibility of taking too driver to safely, I'll run you hard and close but I won t you rub unless you make and if you go without it you must win.
What is to be a pirate race car driver After doing so well in SCCA Club Racing moving up IMSA Racing Pro has been a rude awakening at first I soon realized that I was not going to be on the pole or in the first place for a while if ever my self satisfaction and the reward came from the fact that my small effort dollars from me alone in a car that I built with the engine I built, was competing with the factory backed efforts with professional driver s with the best equipment money could buy.
Does Nissan return you the time of the Datsun competition offered emergency money and sponsors of brokers driver s You Datsun Comp money for podium finishes and if a dealer sponsored you, it Datsun was paid and helped me by occasionally when obtaining parts Comp Datsun not billing me If you have runoff at the end of the year you get the tow money the year I went to the runoff in 1200 I arrived 00 when I arrived in Atlanta.
I have heard stories of Nissan have tons of spare parts ready just for runners like you on the right track runoff they had a giant tent Datsun for you and pit next to the tent trailer 40 full parts feet All you need to do is ask and you free if both didn you, it was stolen the next day.
The worst crash at turn 7 Finals Atlanta before the back straight the first round of practice the first time ever on the track on a cool track cool tires and I am trying to set a new track record knock a concrete wall at 80 mph around the wall 1 foot and moved the left side of my car 2 feet really badly hit some good old boy s NASCAR in a shop near the track fixed night the car.
Best regional race at Laguna last lap pass, right front, is mounted in the center of 4 markers back to victory, leaving car 2nd place nowhere to go.



3rd best race National race at Riverside, finished second behind Leary pouring rain Co-Drove with Leary at Sears Point Enduro 1 finished production car and finish second overall.
What was the first victory you remember the race I remember most is my first ever race, I started on the pole outside next to Carlos Garza in a Lola T292 After 6 laps, he took retire with moterur on lap 10 of 15 when running in the first set I got a flat tire and had abandoned Although I have not won or finished I started on the pole, ran to the front row and if it wasn t for a flat tire I will win.
What percent of your career races you remember 100 percent racing is so intense that it's like it was yesterday.
Tell us about the Z which is being restored to Z Garage The car was presented by M. Katayama Mr. John Cooper, president of the Ontario Motor Speedway in 1972 for use as Official Pace Car for the third annual California 500 was held on September 3, 1972, it has always integrated into the flagship car was then given to the Bob Bondurant driving school at Sears Point in 1977, I bought the Datsun car for Comp a dollar and picked up the car at Sears Point I ran the car at all west coast racing IMSA GTU for three years from 1980 I ran the car in SCCA super production setting the track record at Sears Point and Laguna Seca and win the Pacific road race Championship and MS car had been through three owners since I sold the car in 1982 in rich Johnson as a GT2 car, with smaller flairs and wealthy wheels ran vo frying for a year and won his class car was then sold to Roger Edsinger, and reuse it out of the car for a car he was racing at the time He was then sold to Grant Brown and autocrossed and only one of the car when I returned the car, he had been in a storage shed for 15 years or more.



What motivated you to restore the Z and how did you end up taking Rob In 1989 I started buying all my old race cars I bought my 1971 car had SCCA CP was transformed into an autocross car and putting in a lot of storage for 20 years, my IMSA car that had been in a storage shed for 15 years and a body IMSA street ZI built for my son, he sold and been stored for 10 years my plan was to restore the car with my son and son-Petit and the race Shortly after getting the car my son died of a massive heart attack at that time I changed my plan and decided to sell the cars I listed the car on craigslist and sold Z Street immediately and got all kinds of interest in the race car to the point where I met Rob, I was chatting with the owner Cannaday Classic Datsun in Vista, CA in co Rob hearts of a phone call made me an offer I could not refuse, and here we are today.
You have been accepted for the race in 2014 Historics, when they announce your name on the grid how do you feel special for you since the first time the car came to life and moved under its own power was the practice GTU morning IMSA 25 years ago at Laguna Seca it will be a revival of the car with its creator and driving.


IMSA GTU Datsun 240 Z Race Car Restoration Index Create car, IMSA, Datsun race.